Individuals who cannot afford to get a cellphone because of their financial situation may be eligible to receive free mobile phones and free service through part of a free government-funded program.
The eligibility guidelines differ from state to state. However, if you participate in any of the following public assistance programs, you could be automatically be qualified.
- Federal Public Housing Assistance/Section 8
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)/Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income* (SSI)
- Veterans or Survivors Pension Benefit
- Tribal Qualifying Program based on state of residence
To apply or find out your eligibility in the state you reside, you can go through application process online or you can visit assigned local locations in each state. Most online application process will direct you to the information by entering your ZIP code online.
Once you are accepted into the plan, you receive the mobile phone services. It is recommended that you verify if you get reliable coverage in your area. Most mobile service features include:
- Free monthly allotment of minutes, text, and data (customers that require additional minutes, text, or data can add money to their account by purchasing airtime with a debit/credit card)
- Free voicemail, Caller ID & Call Waiting
- Free domestic long distance
- Nationwide coverage on the Sprint network
- Exclusive Wireless Rewards program
Here are a few examples of free phone providers in Maryland/District of Columbia:
Phone: 1-800-Safelink (723-3546)
Additional free phone service providers in Maryland: https://www.freegovernmentcellphones.net/states/maryland-government-cell-phone-providers
To find out the services available in your state, go to the following link: